Wednesday, October 14, 2009

She's Not A Booze-Mule, She's Like An Old Lady

As she points her nerf-gun “Donatello” in her peers face, it is questionable if she is actually 21 years old. Jennifer Knight, a newly-transferred student to Roger Williams University (RWU), is only a freshman even though she is the age of a graduating senior.
She previously attended the University of Massachusetts (UMASS) located in Amherst, Massachusetts, took a few years off then started to apply to schools again. When Knight started to apply to schools for the second time she took her first college experience and sorted out what she did not like about her previous school. "I didn’t like that all of my classes were lectured styled with 200 students. It was a large problem for me. I just can’t work with that many people." Ms. Knight then created a list of smaller universities and colleges and was recommended Roger Williams by a sister’s friend. She applied then toured the school while her application was being reviewed.
After choosing to attend Roger Williams, Ms. Knight had to fill out a roommate survey. "One of main reasons I didn’t stay for the second semester at UMASS was because I’m not one to go out and party…and I was on the quiet side of campus, it definetly wasn’t quiet though. I’m like an old lady, I’m calm, I don’t like to act like a buffoon running up and down the hallway." On the roommate questionnaire she made it clear she was not tolerant to alcohol, which is probably why she ended up living in the “Add Nothing” Living Learning Community*.
"It was pure luck I am living here, I think it makes a big difference living here with people who have the same ideals about alcohol as me, even though I am 21 years-old." Ms. Knight is the only person above the age of 20 in the suite but it doesn’t seem to affect her at all. She has made a lot of friends through her suitemates in addition to the club meetings. She especially likes to spend time with Alexandra Haskins, her roommate.
Ms. Haskins commented "It’s amazing how compatible we are as roommates. I would have never thought that we would have clicked so much in such a short amount of time. Her quirks are starting to come out." Jennifer agreed. She admitted that she has bonded with her suitemates along with her roommate in a much shorter time than expected.
Since credits-wise she is a freshman, Ms. Knight was put in a upperclassmen dorm which she gladly accepted. "I am not the booze-mule. I refuse. I rarely drink and just because I’m old enough to buy doesn’t mean you can take advantage of me." It is a good thing she was placed with a suite full of sophomores because as of the end of this semester, she will be a sophomore as well. By next fall she plans on working on her junior year.
"I unexpectedly ended up liking Roger Williams a lot more than I would have ever guessed. My grades are back to what they used to be in high school and I have made a group of friends that I can hang out with and feel comfortable."

No comments:

Post a Comment